Our City Online

Metro

More Big Screens Coming to Downtown

Walker Evans Walker Evans
Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

The intersection at Broad and High has been long announced as Columbus’ own miniature version of Times Square, and that concept is now one step closer to reality. Huntington Bank and Nationwide Insurance have signed up to run advertisements on the jumbotron screens that will crown the revamped intersection.

It’s being reported that programming will be featured 24/7 on 12 video screens which will be up and running by fall 2007 when the whole Broad and High complex will be completed. Additionally, news and stock tickers will run at the intersection.

Print Friendly

Tags:

21 Responses to More Big Screens Coming to Downtown

1. Roland November 10, 2006 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm

Wow! That sounds very cool. I wonder if nearby residents will be able to cancel their cable subscriptions and just watch TV shows from the window!

2. Walker Evans
    Walker November 10, 2006 11:39 pm at 11:39 pm

Supposedly NBC4 will be contributing to the on-screen broadcasts. I don’t know if that means TV content or specially-made programming, but either way it should look pretty impressive when it’s all lit up and running!

3. gramarye
    gramarye November 11, 2006 1:10 pm at 1:10 pm

I imagine NBC4 would get the bulk of the airtime, since their new studio is going to be right there on that corner. (I used to think it was sort of strange to see a TV studio on a ground floor, but then I realized that’s only because of the skyline backgrounds I’m used to seeing behind anchors in NYC.)

Are One Columbus and the Huntington Building getting some of those screens, or are all 12 going to be on the Broad & High complex on the northeast corner?

4. Walker Evans
    Walker November 11, 2006 1:39 pm at 1:39 pm

Sounds like all of them are going on the High & Broad complex, but that doesn’t mean we won’t see other buildings adding them. There’s already the jumbotron at the SW corner of High & State on top of the new CVS and the new stock ticker wrapped around the building at the corner of Broad & Third. The whole capital square area is really getting the visual upgrade with all of these electronics. :shock:

5. ander1999 November 14, 2006 10:40 am at 10:40 am

Wow! This is great! The homeless can check their stocks while sleeping on the benches!

What will our profound mayor think up next?

6. Walker Evans
    Walker November 14, 2006 11:06 am at 11:06 am

I didn’t realize Coleman was working for the development company coming up with the ideas for this project himself?

Also, I didn’t realize you cared so strongly about the homeless/poor?

7. Roland November 14, 2006 11:38 am at 11:38 am

These benches will become hot commodities.

Start camping your bench today before Ander1999 gets there. :wink:

8. ander1999 November 14, 2006 11:40 am at 11:40 am

Awe, it will be just like the movies! Trading Places!

I better watch those Orange Juice Futures and the crop reports!

9. gramarye
    gramarye November 14, 2006 11:59 am at 11:59 am

Someone sleeping on one of those benches outside the Statehouse is soon going to have make room for the former occupant of the building. :twisted:

10. Walker Evans
    Walker November 14, 2006 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm

Hot on the heels of this news… I just got some new high-res images from Orange Barrel to show off… 8) It looks like they’re trying to illustrate how the multiple screens can be used together for advertising instead of as individual units. Should look pretty impressive in action.

11. Anne Evans
    Anne November 15, 2006 8:39 am at 8:39 am

looks nice.

12. Roland November 15, 2006 9:56 am at 9:56 am

These people are INSANE. Is that a coke machine up on the roof?

Otherwise, I cant wait to see it.

13. gsmittynd November 15, 2006 10:04 am at 10:04 am

This will look amazing when it is done. I just wish that they would get a move on it. I feel like this place has been under construction for years.

14. honavery November 15, 2006 10:13 am at 10:13 am

It has been under construction for about a couple of years. Supposedly they have been working on the foundations behind the billboards all this time and now they have that crane there are ready to begin construction….not sure if I believe that or not.

The funny thing is the “days without an accident” sign. It is up to a couple of hundred days, but there was a GIANT accident there (well, I guess it may not officially qualify as an accident), where part of the old building fell off into the middle of high street. They had to close high street for a couple of days for an emergency demolition.

15. gsmittynd November 15, 2006 11:10 am at 11:10 am

honavery wrote

Yeah, I rember hearing about the falling rubble on the news.

The funny thing is when I was looking at buying a condo downtown one year ago, they told me that this project would be done by Fall of 2006. It looks liek they are a bit behind schedule!

16. Walker Evans
    Walker November 15, 2006 11:12 am at 11:12 am

Roland wrote These people are INSANE. Is that a coke machine up on the roof?

It looks like it… but the mock-up also makes it look like it’s a full story-tall, so maybe it’s supposed to just look like a giant coke vending machine on the roof as sort of a made-u-look type of advert (like the Mini Cooper Slingshot).

17. Columbusite November 22, 2006 6:00 pm at 6:00 pm

I like it, but the less said about Times Square/NYC, the better.

18. Walker Evans
    Walker November 22, 2006 6:40 pm at 6:40 pm

Columbusite wrote I like it, but the less said about Times Square/NYC, the better.

Agreed. I’ve said it before… if we just try to imitate, we’ll just be an imitation.

I wonder if NBC will be allowed to show popular shows on these big screens. If it weren’t so cold out I’d love to watch Heroes or The Office on one of these things. :D

19. ddavis November 24, 2006 11:08 am at 11:08 am

It seems like when I’ve gone by the screens down there now they’re only commercials……

Do they show any real content or are they just fancy billboards?

20. Walker Evans
    Walker November 24, 2006 11:36 am at 11:36 am

The one on top of CVS seems to be only commericals. The Arena District one I think is MOSTLY commercials, but has some content.

I think that’s the main thing you’ll see on these things. They are just an advanced billboard, and those never have any real “content”. Will be interesting to see what NBC puts on these new ones though. They say they’re going to offering programming, which I’m going to guess will be mostly news.

21. Brewmaster
    Brewmaster November 24, 2006 5:30 pm at 5:30 pm

I’m guessing they’ll be showing NBC Weather Plus (digital air channel 4.2) quite a bit.

Want to comment?